Make these monstrous cinnamon swirl cakes come to life with food coloring in the cream cheese frosting and creepy candy decorations.
Butter and flour, for pan
Black, red and green gel food coloring
Chocolate sandwich cookies, for eyes
Brown M&M’s or chocolate chips, for pupils
Black frosting, for scars, eyebrows and mouth
Mini chocolate sandwich cookie, for nose
Licorice rods, for bolts
White chocolate curls, for hair
Mini chocolate sandwich cookies, for eyes and ears
Black frosting, for pupils, eyelashes and scars
Mini chocolate chips, for hair
Red frosting, for mouth
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 81/2- by 4-in. loaf pan with butter. Add some flour and tap and rotate pan, to lightly coat. Tap off excess.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In medium bowl, melt 2 Tbsp butter, then stir in brown sugar and cinnamon.
- In large bowl, using electric mixer, beat together remaining 14 Tbsp butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, 3 min. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well between each addition. Add vanilla.
- In three additions, alternate adding flour and milk, beating until just combined.
- Add 3/4 cup batter to bowl with cinnamon mixture, stirring until just combined. Add half of remaining batter to prepared loaf pan and spread evenly. Add cinnamon batter and spread in even layer. Add remaining vanilla batter and spread evenly. Using mini offset spatula or bread knife, swirl figure-eight pattern in cake.
- Bake until wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, 70 to 75 min. Let cool 10 min. before inverting onto wire rack to cool completely. For fewer crumbs when decorating, chill cake at least an hour before frosting
- In large bowl, using electric mixer, beat butter until smooth. Add cream cheese and beat until smooth (do not overbeat). Add confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and salt and beat on low speed to fully combine. If mixture is not spreadable, add cream, 1/2 Tbsp at a time. If not using immediately, cover and refrigerate up to 3 days. Frosting should be brought to room temp before using and can be gently softened in microwave at 50% power in short bursts.
- Place chilled cake on serving platter. Lightly coat in 1/2 cup frosting, smoothing sides and edges with offset spatula. Refrigerate at least 20 min.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, tint 1/4 cup frosting black. In second bowl, tint 1/4 cup frosting red (for bride only). Transfer both frostings to piping bags fitted with size 2 or 3 tips. In third bowl, tint remaining frosting green.
- Cover cake in green frosting, smoothing all over (save a little for nose). While frosting is still sticky, use mini chocolate chips to create hair.
- For Frankenstein: For eyes, separate cookies and cut cream side in half; top with chocolate pupils. Using black frosting, pipe scars, eyebrows and mouth. Place mini cookie for nose and cover in remaining green frosting. Gently press licorice rods into side of cake for bolts.
- For Bride: Add white chocolate curls to hair. Separate 2 mini cookies and place cream sides out for eyeballs; use some black frosting for pupils. Cut one mini cookie in half and use for ears, gently pressing into sides of cake. Use black frosting to make eyelashes and scar. Use red frosting to make mouth.