Hat’s off to these witchy Halloween chocolate cupcakes topped with buttercream frosting and crafty cupcake liners.
Hats off to these witchy Halloween cupcakes, topped with colorful buttercream and crafty cupcake liners. Just bake-up our easy chocolate cupcakes, top them with frosting and use toothpicks to adhere the cupcake-liner hats! They may look scary, but the rich and chocolatey treats are actually pretty sweet.
Top tips from the Test Kitchen:
– We love the natural food coloring from Color Kitchen, which gives frosting a vibrant hue from plant-based dyes!
– Think about trying gel paste food coloring instead of liquid. The paste is thicker and creates a more vibrant, intense color without thinning out the frosting. Just be aware— a little goes a long way!
– Halloween is just the start of holiday (and cupcake-decorating!) season. Make an extra batch of buttercream frosting and freeze it for up to 3 months.
– Not all hats have to be black— find funky patterned cupcake liners to give your witches some extra personality.
Gel food coloring
Black cupcake liners
Black mini cupcake liners
- Bake cupcakes as directed and let cool. Prepare buttercream and tint desired colors. Frost the cupcakes.
- To form the witch hats: Fold one cupcake liner in half, then fold in half again. Tape the two flaps together to form a solid wedge shape. Fold the wedge in half again and tape again to form a cone.
- Insert a toothpick into the frosted cupcake and place the cone on top of the toothpick. This is the top of the hat.
- Cut a hole in the middle of the mini cupcake liner. This is the base of the hat. Slide the cut-out mini cupcake liner onto the cone to create the hat. Repeat for remaining cupcakes.